What happens if my dog eats one m&m?

Dog Care

M&Ms are among the most popular chocolate treats ever made. Many of us are familiar with those multi-colored beads packed with chocolate and other goodies. If you ever get that craving for some good chocolate, a handful of M&Ms can really hit the spot.

What happens if my dog eats one m&m?

  • The toxic part of chocolate is theobromine and caffeine. So, no mocha lattes for fido please! Stick to the Puppuccino during your next Starbucks drive thru.
  • Chocolate can cause restlessness, vomiting and diarrhea at moderate doses. High doses can cause scary symptoms like heart arrhythmia and seizures.
  • It may take up to 6 hours for your pup to show symptoms after their naughty indulgence.
  • The type of chocolate is very important. For example, dark chocolate has twice the poison compared with milk chocolate. Bakers chocolate contains even more potent and three times the amount of poison compared with dark chocolate.

My dog eats one m&m? What can I do?

It depends on the size of the dog and the amount she ate, but chances are good that, unless she ate several pounds of M&Ms, she will likely only end up with a sore belly and possibly diarrhea. If she ate them less than 1 hour ago, you can induce vomiting by giving an oral dose of hydrogen peroxide, about 1 cc per pound. One tablespoon is about 5 cc. A turkey baster will work if you don’t have a syringe. Longer than an hour and it will have already moved into the intestines. 

Pet insurance helps you for this satutation.

Ideally, your pet should be seen by your veterinarian to ensure that she will be okay. Your vet will do an exam and possibly blood work to determine if any further treatment is needed.

What to Do if My Dog Eats an M&M?

Chocolate poisoning is something you must take seriously. By waiting too long to treat chocolate poisoning, your dog could die from the complications it causes.

So, does that mean that you should take your dog to the veterinarian right away? Your answer to that question should depend on how many M&Ms your dog ate.

Realistically, your dog eating a few pieces of M&Ms is not a big deal. They may get an upset stomach, but that’s about it. Even small dogs will be safe from the severe effects of chocolate poisoning if they only ate a few M&Ms.

It’s different if your dog ate a bag of M&Ms. They are more at risk in those scenarios. Going to the veterinarian is highly recommended at that point.

You should also head to the veterinarian as soon as your dog starts vomiting or pooping frequently. They may be suffering from the onset of chocolate poisoning so take them to the veterinarian to get checked out.

If you’re uncertain about your dog’s condition, you should err on the side of caution and take them to the veterinarian.

What Happens if My Dog Eats an M&M?

M & Ms. These are great resources that will appeal to both children and adults. Unfortunately, they are not safe for our beloved dogs.

Why aren’t M&Ms good for our dogs? The main problem is the main component of candy. Chocolate, as you already know, is toxic to dogs. It contains two specific substances that dogs cannot. Such substances are caffeine and theobromine.

Dogs lack the ability to properly metabolize caffeine or theobromine. Her body metabolizes both substances very slowly and this is a problem. Such substances can remain in the dog’s body for a while and further increase the rate of poisoning.

Your dog may feel the effects of this poisoning.
M&M may not be enough to harm your dog. Even small dogs need to be safe when eating only M&M.
However, your pet may be in danger if it eats any M&M that you accidentally dropped on the floor. They may show various symptoms because they suffer from the effects of chocolate poisoning. Learn more about the common symptoms of chocolate poisoning below.

  1. Vomiting

  2. Diarrhea

  3. Seizures

  4. Death

What Happens if My Dog Eats a Peanut M&M?

The presence of peanuts in M&M does not reduce the toxic effects of the chocolate content on your dog. The fact that there is a peanut in M&M doesn’t make it any better for your dog. Your pet may continue to suffer from chocolate poisoning from eating M&Ms peanuts.

As for peanuts, you should know that it is not always safe for dogs to eat them. This may come as a surprise as peanut butter is a popular dog food.

The main problem is salted peanuts. Salted peanuts are bad for dogs because they contain a lot of sodium. Medium-sized dogs cannot tolerate sodium, so even a few salty peanuts can ruin their bodies.

Be careful not to salt your dog M&M with peanuts or peanuts. If you want to give your dog something to chew on, give them healthy foods.

Will One M&M Hurt a Dog?

No, a single M&M is not going to harm your dog. That said, you should still avoid giving M&Ms or other chocolate treats to your pet.

You don’t want your dog developing a craving for chocolate. It would be better to just not give your dog a taste of chocolate so they never learn to seek it out.

 

recommends

is instant noodles good for dogs?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *