Four dogs died in a fire in Brentwood
The dogs died of smoke from a fire at the Derty Dog Canine Retreat and Fitness on Brentwood Boulevard at 10 p.m. Thursday.
About ten other dogs were rescued.
“Most of us also have animals, so it’s part of the family, so we’re doing everything we can,” said Fire Marshal Steve Aubert of the East Contra Costa Fire Protection District.
Brentwood police and firefighters found more than a dozen dogs in the modular building.
“The room was full of smoke to the floor at the time,” Aubert said.
About a dozen dogs were rescued and removed from the building. Four dogs didn’t make it, including one that firefighters tried to save
“An animal was still breathing, so crews made every effort to perform CPR on the dog,” said Battalion Chief Jeff Burris.
The fire does not appear to be malicious in origin, authorities said.
“Right now, we still believe it to be accidental in nature, but again we’re looking at whether it was the air conditioning unit or the power source leading to the air conditioning unit,” Aubert said.
There were some challenges in the fire response because there are no hydrants in that area. “… that’s why we need to send a lot of water tenders to support fire attack operations,” Burris said.
Derty Dog told KTVU that they were grateful for the prompt intervention of rescuers who prevented the fire from spreading to other sheds and the building where someone was sleeping.
The company said in part: “Today we are asking for privacy, kindness and prayer for the families of the missing, our employees and our own family, because we are all dealing with a broken heart, sadness and the shock of this terrible accident.”